New to Verity! podcast? Welcome!
As you may have guessed from our tag line we are six women, from across the globe, with opinions — mostly about Doctor Who, but that’s a gateway to talk about other issues such as feminism, racism, history, social politics, and general geekery. We hail from the United States, Canada, The United Kingdom, and Australia. We’re writers, editors, podcasters, bloggers, and fans who really really like Doctor Who. We don’t think it’s perfect, but that’s okay, neither are we. (Want to learn more about who we are? Check out the “Behind the Voices” links on the right.)
As an introduction to Verity!* we’ve each selected a release for you to sample. We hope you find something that catches your attention!
- Deb recommends Episode 3 – A Perfect 10? – “This was early days for us and this ep sort of shocked listeners. We disagreed – vehemently! In a world of congenial podcast hosts, this was a bit unexpected. I think this episode really displays the passion we bring to our debates. (The gatekeeping conversation is also pretty amazing, and made this a close second choice as a sample episode for Lynne!)” If you like spirited discussion, this episode is for you.
- Erika recommends Episode 16 – 7b, to Rhyme with Squee – “By this time I really think we were hitting our stride. This ep covers an entire (half-)season of Doctor Who, so listeners don’t need to have seen every episode to feel like they’re in on the fun. Also, there’s a lot of intelligent, enthusiastic discussion about Clara, both as a character and a ‘mystery’.” If you’re a fan of season-overviews (and Clara), this ep’s for you.
- Katrina recommends Episode 19 – Doctor 5 Is Alive! – “A good representation of a ‘normal’ episode for the Verities. Shockingly, we actually come to a (sort of) agreement about the story being representative, even if it was originally picked because it’s a favourite!” If you’ve ever wondered about classic Who subtext, or if you saw the fifth Doctor in “Time Crash” and want to know more about him, this one is for you.
- Liz recommends Extra! – Chicago TARDIS – LIVE! – “It’s not at all representative: Erika’s in charge! We have a guest! But I love the energy and pace of the in-person recordings, and sometimes people applaud! And laugh! It’s terribly exciting.” If you wonder what the Verities sound like when they record in the same room (in front of an audience!), this is the episode for you.
- Lynne recommends Episode 29 – A Day in the Lives – “We were (almost) all together, we were enthusiastic, and we had a great time!” This ep is a squeeful crowd-pleaser. If you want joy, this one’s for you.
- Tansy recommends Extra! – Fangirls Just Wanna Have Fun – “It was a really meaty conversation about fandom, being fannish while female, and has its own (borrowed) theme song from the Doubleclicks.” If you are a fan (of anything), this is for you.
Our format is simple. Every other week we discuss a topic that fits our yearly theme. Last year we counted down to the 50th anniversary by examining episodes we felt represented each Doctor’s era. This year we’re talking about the villains, baddies, and miscreants who vex the Doctor. We open every episode on a note of joy: we each mention something that’s caught our attention in the world of Doctor Who. (And what a grab bag of goodness that can be!)
On alternate weeks we post a Verity! Extra – a mini episode where we discuss topics from the silly to the sublime. It’s occasionally serious, but for the most part, this is where we have fun, talk about fannish things, laugh, interview women involved in the world of Doctor Who, or review books/DVDs/audios.
We are passionate about this thing we love, and it shows. We rarely agree, and we defend our positions with vigor…and then we spend another hour online after we’ve finished recording, chatting about Rupert Graves or Blake’s 7 or June Hudson’s fabulous costume designs. Our goal is this: Imagine your very best “conversation at the bar” with your very best friends at the very best convention you’ve ever attended. Now make it a podcast. That’s Verity! We’d love to have you join us.
Thanks for visiting us here at Verity! We hope you’ll decide to stay.
*Yes, we know the exclamation point can be confusing, but it’s part of who we are. It indicates the passion and personality of our podcast as well as our namesake, Verity Lambert. (Want to learn more about Verity Lambert? Check out the “Our Inspiration” button at the top right.)